Friday, April 27, 2012

What's Working with...Stripes and Plaid

Who says you can only wear patterns with solids.  It can be a little tricky to find a balance when trying to mix prints but why not go for it. 
I've been obsessed with this new striped shirt I picked up at a J Crew Outlet last month and after reading several tips about finding the value in wardrobe purchases, I'm determined I have to find at least 3 ways to work each piece before I'm allowed to keep it.  So this is a keeper! Not only have I found 3 ways to wear it, but 3 ways to wear it with plaid so I have endless solid opportunities.

1. Sweater: Rachel Roy, Striped Shirt and Plaid Pants: J Crew Factory, Belt:  Gap, Shoes: Prada, Bracelet Watch: Burberry, Bracelet:  Thrifted
2. Striped Shirt: J Crew Factory, Plaid Skirt: Thrifted, Shoes: Michael Kors, Necklace: Anthropologie
3. Striped Shirt, Pliad Shirt and Shorts: J Crew Factory, Shoes: Tory Burch Jellies, Bag: Marni for H&M, Bracelet: J Crew

#1. Pick a common thread, either a color combo or the same pattern. The first look uses navy as a common thread to unify the look. Even using 3 distinct prints works because it all uses navy.
#2. Sometimes opposites attract, but you can pull it all together with a color throughout the outfit to unify the look. Here I chose a skirt with a lot of brown so I took a necklace with brown tones to tie the top of the outfit with the bottom.
#3. Match the widths. Both the stripe in the shorts and the shirt are about the same just going in opposite directions and are in the same color family, its a stretch but it can work for a casual running errands look.

2 comments:

  1. Adore the pop of color you used in the belt! Unique outfits that are wearable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great looks! Love the tips, very helpful. I especially love the blazer look.

    ReplyDelete